Skip to main content
Topic: What is YOUR number one need?  (Read 1921 times) previous topic - next topic

What is YOUR number one need?

Hey friends! I am working on a couple of big projects--I will share them very soon. I wanted to check in today and ask - What is YOUR number one need??? If you could ask me for a special focus for a one day summit or even for a podcast topic, what is holding you back? What do you need to know??? What do you need help doing??? Jump in!
Writer, Speaker, Pastor, Revivalist, Apostolic Prophet, Actress, Empty-nester, Mimi, Army Mom, RVer, Serial Entrepreneur, Life/Business/Ministry Coach, Sweet-tea Addict, God-crazy!

Re: What is YOUR number one need?

Reply #1

Because of the internet, we see so many needs and so many areas that need help.  It becomes overwhelming to know what to do and who to help.  I think this overwhelm paralyzes many of us.  It does me.

Some business 'experts' advise to only choose one area to specialize in. If we do more, they say, we are weakening our 'expertise.' An example given was "would you call a guy who delivers pizzas and does mechanics on the side, or would you call a mechanic who only does mechanics?" But the thing is, my family has always been jack-of-all-trades, so I don't see a problem with doing many things.

If you do choose to help or work in different areas, how do you know which plates to juggle? @CindyRushton , you're someone who juggles many plates - how do you know where to focus?

Reply #2

Because of the internet, we see so many needs and so many areas that need help.  It becomes overwhelming to know what to do and who to help.  I think this overwhelm paralyzes many of us.  It does me.

Some business 'experts' advise to only choose one area to specialize in. If we do more, they say, we are weakening our 'expertise.' An example given was "would you call a guy who delivers pizzas and does mechanics on the side, or would you call a mechanic who only does mechanics?" But the thing is, my family has always been jack-of-all-trades, so I don't see a problem with doing many things.

If you do choose to help or work in different areas, how do you know which plates to juggle? @CindyRushton , you're someone who juggles many plates - how do you know where to focus?

Oh! This is a super question! I just updated my bio and the very thing that I *CHOSE* to keep was one of the things that I do - I am a "serial entrepreneur". I don't leave things behind, but I am always growing and moving, and expanding. I keep hearing God say that I need to take the lids and limits off. I have heard that for a while, but this week, I have heard Him say to me, "Cindy, my beloved, take the lids and limits off of ME!" :)

So, with this said, our culture shifted a while back. They shifted into "expertise." The focus was to be the expert.  I don't think that this was a malicious shift. I think that they genuinely wanted to help people learn to be excellent.

The problem that I see is that there are only a few people truly wired that way or called that way. Even Jesus wore many hates and filled many roles.

Even though I grew up in a family business and we have had several great businesses, I have asked myself over and over why I could not narrow things down. :) A while back, I was ministering in Nashville on the streets with some friends. A guy from our team asked me if he could give me a prophetic word. I am ALWAYS game for that! :) His word was that he could see that I wear many mantles and that he heard the Lord saying that he wanted for me to embrace all of the mantles that He gives me to wear, even as He gives me more.

That was huge!

Finally, things made perfect sense. I was set free to be the person that God designed and called me to be.

I believe that this is really the picture that God has for almost all of us. I am not putting pressure on people to do a lot of "little things" because I have coached too many people who are doing a lot of little things and it is time for them to step into their BIG thing--the main thing or the thing that they are here to be all about. There is a tendency to run from that and get sooo busy doing a lot of stuff that we never get around to the things that we know deep down we are supposed to be all about. I always say that you will know that I am running from something God wants me to do when you see that my toilet is sparkling clean. I will distract myself with ANYTHING.

So, what about delivering pizza and being a mechanic? Can you do something THAT diverse? How do build a business that people take serious when you do a lot of things? How do you communicate it so that it REALLY makes sense for others?

I think that first we have to know ourselves:
* Is this temporary so we can eat tonight or is this part of the many hats that I want to wear for long-term? 
* Is there anything that I KNOW I am supposed to do that I am not getting around to doing?
* Is there anything that I need to let go of? Or, take the leap?

Then, look at what you have and what you need to do with it....
* Need to rebrand?
* Need to take it uplevel?
* Need to monetize?
* Need to revamp?
* Need to expand?

I have been spending the past few months really looking at what I *want* in my life. What makes my heart full? What uses my skills and giftings? What is missing? What needs to go? What makes it all come together?

Looking at that helps me to know what I have and how much of my time and energy really needs to go into any one pursuit. For example, I love sooo many things, but my time is so limited. Some things are just in my life and are not going anywhere. They need a spot that works for them.  It may not be when I am the most fresh or creative or energetic, but knowing that and putting them in first  makes scheduling easier. For example, school is a biggie for me now. For a while, my job was a biggie. Putting them in their spot and not letting them be my only thing that I ever get done is essential--it is easy to crash instead of working the schedule so other things are a part of it.

I remember last year my schedule was LOCKED DOWN. But, I did have one option—I could get up 1 hour earlier and use that time to really focus on my business. ONE HOUR A DAY! That 1 hour was sacred. I was in my friend Kelly’s Stretch Yourself Challenge (wrote about that today here: http://cindyrushton.com/stretching-yourself/ ).  I made myself a list of MUSTS for the month and a list of WISHES. Each day I worked that list. I decided the night before what I would do the next day. I got up, got dressed, and hit it. I did not allow devices or anything but work for my business/ministry. I cannot tell you how much I got done in just 30 days. It still humbles me! It was in that 30 days that EVERYTHING changed!  I was off the bench and  back in the trenches!

Think about other things--for example working out, running, or even quiet times. As much as I love them and need them, they are battle areas. I have to make them non-negotiable and first in my day if I want for them to happen. Same with working on new projects or establishing a new area of business or ministry--I need full concentration and a set time or it will never happen.

Other things, I can do in the middle of the mall. haha! Still other things I can do when I am utterly exhausted and only able to do things that are brainless. Those things can be on my schedule at the end of the day or on those really intense school days.

Lori, I am with you. I am surrounded by a lot of “serial-entrepreneurs.” I have always been. I think it is one of the ways I can detect “my tribe” or “my people” in this world. They are the people that are not fully alive without crushing it. They are the ones that are fully empowered when they have a lot flowing through them.

I remember moving to Nashville and one day realizing when I was on set for a television show that everyone around me was LIKE ME. :) They were the ones who gave me a peace about the way I am wired.

So, the “experts” don’t think like this? I do have to confess that I don’t know any experts that truly don’t live like this and think like this. I wonder if it is one of those things that someone said and everybody just followed with a few of us radicals that refused to conform. Haha!

It is OK how God wired us.

Think about that for a moment. It is completely perfect how God has wired us! WHOEVER WE ARE.

Even in Scripture, we see in Ecclesiastes that we are to spread our bread upon SEVEN OR EVEN EIGHT streams (Ecclesiastes 11:2) because “you do not know what risks might lie ahead” or another version says, “you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth” or still another says, “you don't know what disaster might befall the land.” We find hidden in the “genealogies” and the stories of men and women in scripture a little information dropped in here and there about what they did with excellence or what they were known for in their family—that is pretty priceless! Just look at the “picture” of the Proverbs 31 woman—with land, sewing business, produce business, etc. Look at Paul, he had his ministry AND his lucrative “tent” (or house-building) business. Oh, look at Jesus who was a shepherd, carpenter, and rabbi. Or how about how He taught about giving the “talents” or giftings to the faithful stewards—one had 10, another 5, and another 1. Or, how about the way Holy Spirit gives gifts and flows—there is not just ONE gift for most people. In fact, when we are faithful in what He gives us, often we look up and see Him gifting us with even more. Think about that for a moment.

Going back to what I said, my prayer is that we let God show us how He wired us. My prayer is that we can sit before Him and let Him lavish us with giftings, talents, abilities, and messages that turn our world up-side down for His glory! He is doing great things today. We are prepared perfectly for what He needs today. We just need to grasp on to it and enjoy this beautiful kingdom life. No lids. No limits! We have the very Spirit of the God of creation flowing through us, empowering us for His glory!

Now…what does everyone else think?

I think this needs to be a part of my upcoming podcast and events (act surprised!). And…keep asking questions. You have SUPER questions!

Love you to the moon and beyond!
Writer, Speaker, Pastor, Revivalist, Apostolic Prophet, Actress, Empty-nester, Mimi, Army Mom, RVer, Serial Entrepreneur, Life/Business/Ministry Coach, Sweet-tea Addict, God-crazy!

Reply #3
Wow! What an eye-opening word! We do need to stop being limited by what the world says is success. We are not of this world; we are citizens of a heavenly kingdom and our Father has commissioned many things for us to do as we pass through this place.

Cindy, thanks for obeying God's call on your life and encouraging us to do the same!

Reply #4
Wow! What an eye-opening word! We do need to stop being limited by what the world says is success. We are not of this world; we are citizens of a heavenly kingdom and our Father has commissioned many things for us to do as we pass through this place.

Cindy, thanks for obeying God's call on your life and encouraging us to do the same!

WOW! Janelle, I completely agree! We are citizens (actually royalty!! WINK) from another kingdom. The world is so upside down. We are here to bring truth, answers, HOPE (love how I used YOUR word?), and a real pattern from our kingdom. We are image bearers of a kingdom that IS the way, truth, and life. If we are going to truly bring light to a very dark world, we have to step out and make these overgrown paths clear.

And, we have EACH OTHER to do this. We are not alone. We are in community! <3

Reply #5
Cindy, I would love to hear more about the multiple streams that I have heard you mention in several places this year...I'm trying to see how my streams (puppies, blog/writing, & considering natural hair/skin   care) work together...

Reply #6
Cindy, I would love to hear more about the multiple streams that I have heard you mention in several places this year...I'm trying to see how my streams (puppies, blog/writing, & considering natural hair/skin   care) work together...

I LOVE this! I will dig into this. I LOVE this as a topic. Probably because this has been so much my own life. Let me prep something for you! :) Super question!

Reply #7
It's interesting how God can highlight words for us that we read before, but He brings us back to them to learn more from them. Tonight, randomly, I clicked on this board, reread what you wrote above, Cindy, and the verses you shared in Ecclesiastes jumped out at me.  I grabbed my nearby Bible, wrote down the verses you shared, then read further and Ecclesiastes 11:6 hit me smack in the heart:

"In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest now whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good."

"Either this or that"!!!!!!  Isn't that amazing? The thing we must do is sow. Just sow, without holding our hand back, or keeping our seeds to ourselves. 

Thank you for sharing your words last fall.  God bless you!

Reply #9
audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru

Reply #10
XXII